DCSD announces 2019 Art in Business grand prize winners
HARTSVILLE, S.C. – The Darlington County School District announced Sunday, March 24, the four grand-prize winners of its annual Art in Business program. The event also featured 18 other school winners and an enormous art showcase.
Art in Business creates partnerships with local businesses and organizations to celebrate the school district’s best visual artists. The 18 school winners will hang in sponsoring businesses for the next year before returning to the district, while the four grand-prize winners will hang permanently in the district’s administrative offices.
The four grand-prize winners, who span four predetermined grade ranges, are:
- ·Raziah Harry, Lamar Elementary School, Grades K-2
- ·Grace Brunson, Brockington Elementary Magnet School, Grades 3-5
- ·Abbie Chapman, Spaulding Middle School, Grades 6-8
- ·Isabella Haynes, Mayo High School for Math, Science and Technology, Grades 9-12
Those students’ art teachers are Dee Driggers, Jean McCormick, Clarence Dubose II and Lyn O’Donnell, respectively.
A pool of judges selected the grand-prize winners from the 22 school winners, who were selected by each school’s art teacher. The panel consisted of sponsor representatives, art educators from other South Carolina school districts, and professional artists. Each school winner received a $50 cash prize and a ribbon. The grand-prize winners earned a ribbon, and their art teachers will each receive $200 for art supplies.
The district hosted the awards ceremony in the Hartsville Middle Auditorium in front of a large crowd of family, friends and school district supporters. The Art in Business Showcase kicked off across the hall in the school’s cafeteria and featured hundreds of pieces of student artwork. The Showcase ran from 3 to 5 p.m. and also included the school-winning and grand-prize winning artwork.
The individual school winners are:
• Brockington Elementary Magnet School – Grace Brunson
• Brunson-Dargan Elementary School – Teanna Johnson
• Cain Elementary School – Taylor Rabideau
• Carolina Elementary School – Rosalyn Nuce
• Darlington County Institute of Technology – Denisha Toney
• Darlington High School – Terry Frazier
• Darlington Middle School – Alissa Price
• Hartsville High School – Maggie Wensink
• Hartsville Middle School – Victoria Rogers
• Lamar Elementary School – Raziah Harry
• Lamar High School – Tyler Gainey
• Mayo High School for Math, Science and Technology – Isabella Haynes
• North Hartsville Elementary School – Harlow Stewart-Johnson
• Pate Elementary School – Elizabeth Capers
• Rosenwald Elementary/Middle School – Andre Addison
• Southside Early Childhood Center – Cadence Lane
• Spaulding Elementary School – Ry’Niah Nelson
• Spaulding Middle School – Abbie Chapman
• St. John’s Elementary School – Nathan Tucker
• Thornwell School for the Arts – Cynthia Howell
• Washington Street Elementary School – MaKhaleigh Chappell
• West Hartsville Elementary School – Cameron Tatum The sponsors that make Art in Business possible are Advanced Wellness Center, Better Homes & Gardens Segars Realty, Brown & Coker Realty, Carolina Pines Regional Medical Center, Darlington Raceway, Dedicated Community Bank, Duke Energy, Eads Chiropractic Wellness Center, Ervin Law Office, P.A., First Citizens Bank, Halligan, Mahoney & Williams, Lathan Consulting Company, North Industrial Machine, LLC, NOVOLEX, Orthodontic Specialists, Pee Dee Electric Cooperative, Raceway Automotive, Sonoco, Sound Solutions Hearing Care, SPC Credit Union, Subway, The Citizens Bank, Tingen & Associates Insurance Agency.